I did it! A touch late, but I did it!
The weekend turned out a bit busy, and I ended up having some short notice design work, but today I finished my first batch of camera bags. Here is a sneak peek of what you can expect to find in the etsy store this week! Tomorrow I’ll start taking my product photos and get these available to you.
In addition to finishing the bags, this afternoon I whipped up my last “practice” coloring book. I had ordered a pattern on etsy from jcasa, although I’ve decided to stick with my original. I will thank jcasa for some excellent tips on how to put it all together. I’ve since added to mine a layer of felt for rigidity. Jcasa‘s pattern featured a trifold setup, like a brochure, and used an elastic loop closure with a button. It also has pockets to hold pads of paper.
I decided my original set up worked best to hold folded coloring book pages with a strand of ribbon. I also like the flap to protect the pages from the crayons. The larger size, as my dad suggested, was easier for little kids to draw on, and also lends itself to being framed after being colored. I’m also keeping with the cardboard backing in the book that will make it easier to color in, but I’ve found a much cleaner way of inserting it and have stopped trying to sew around it.
I’ve also abandoned the button closure. I was worried that the loop and button was difficult for little kids to work, and might suffer wear and tear after lots of use. Velcro will also be easier on me for making stacks at a time. I like the creative touch the buttons add to the cover though, so if they see a return it will be more cosmetic and velcro will still function as the closure.
On this one I used velcro but didnt feel it needed a button…instead i made the flap wavy to match the nautical theme.
also, if you can see them on this photo…there are blue lines drawn in to mark seams…they’ll disappear!
I’d also like to make the crayon pockets a little longer to hold them more securely.
All that said…I’m ready to roll!